Are you taking full advantage of expired domains at the moment?
Imagine being able to buy a domain that already has an awesome backlink profile and existing targeted traffic for the same price as a new domain.
You can use expired domains to:
- Build out a new authority site to slingshot past the competition
- Build out a powerful private blog network.
What Will I Learn?
What Can You Use Expired Domains For?
Although there are lots of things expired domains can be used for, I personally use expired domains in 3 different ways:
- Building authority sites
- Building a private blog network
- 301 redirects
But before I do that, I want to make sure that you understand exactly what you can use expired domains for in a bit more detail.
Method #1 – Building Authority Sites
When I build a new authority site or niche site, I never do it on a brand new domain.
The problem with new domains is that you have to invest in building up their authority from an SEO perspective which costs significant time & money to do.
Instead I prefer to register an expired domain that already has authority.
That gives me a huge head start and quite often building out a content rich site on a powerful expired domain is enough to crack the first page rankings without any work.
I recently bought a domain from Spamzilla and set the site up on July 2nd which won it’s first featured snippet on August 17th-
You just wouldn’t have that advantage with a brand new domain!
And the best bit?
Registering an expired domains costs exactly the same as registering a brand new domain.
Method #2 – Building A Private Blog Network
In essence you use expired domains to build a fleet of high quality highly authoritative sites in a specific niche and then you use those sites to rank your site.
Look at how we used them to 14x search traffic for this site–
But all of that starts with finding expired domains in your niche that have a clean link profile and spam free history which is easier said than done.
Method #3 – 301 Redirects
Simply take the expired domain you bought and 301 redirect it to your main site.
This will pass over a portion of the link juice and authority of the expired domain to your site immediately. Bonus points if that domain has existing traffic!
However this method comes with a warning, you can get away with doing 1 or 2 of these to your main site for a quick shortcut:
But I wouldn’t recommend it as a regular link building habit.
How To Find Powerful Expired Domains Easily
Now you know how to use expired domains to your advantage, I am going to show you the easiest ways to find them.
Either of these tools can be used for finding powerful expired domains easily!
But I am going to show you how to do it with Domain Hunter Gatherer because that’s a little be trickier to work with (Spamzilla is fairly self explanatory)
There are a number of ways you can use it to find expired domnains.
- 5 Ways To Find Expired Domains:
- Hunt From Keywords: Enter some keywords from your niche and the software will find expired domains with links from webpages that are currently ranking for those keywords.
- Hunt From Websites: Crawl specific website(s) to find expired domains that they link to. Eg you could find expired domains with links from Wikipedia/The New York Times etc.
- Reverse Hunt Domains: Enter a domain and the software will find all fo the backlinks to that domain and then scan them to find expired domains. Great for snapping up domains that also link to your competitors.
- Auction Hunter: Enter your keywords to search 8 expired domain marketplaces & look up important metrics.
- Web 2.0 Hunter: Find relevant expired web 2.0 domains from 20 different web 2.0 platforms.
- No 3rd Party Services Required: The software also fetches metrics from Majestic & Moz at no additional cost which saves 100’s of dollars per month. It is an all in one solution.
- Filtering/Sorting: You can easily sort and filter by any metric you can imagine including countries and languages. You can even filter to buy expired domains with traffic!
- Bonus Feature: You can rebuild entire websites in just 1 click, watch the video below to learn more.
Take a look at how easy it is to use along with some of my own exclusive personal tips & advice in this video.
I’ll also share a bonus tip that shows you how to register expired domains with traffic! Watch over my shoulder as a find an expired domain with over 11,000 visitors per month in the mental health niche.
Resources In The Video
Domain Hunter Gatherer – Easily the best tool on the market to find powerful expired domains quick & easily with no additional costs.
BuyProxies.org – My preferred proxy provider, you can use the much cheaper semi-dedicated ones.
Thank You For Sharing The Post
You can download the expired domain checklist below-
Wrapping It Up
So there you have it, now you know not only how to use expired domains to your advantage but also the easiest way to find them.
Whether you want to buy expired domain with traffic or a huge SEO authority – you are armed with the knowledge you need to gain an unfair advantage.
Not only that, but you also know how to rebuild entire expired websites in 1 click which will save you a ton of money and time!
So I only have one question for you…
How will you take advantage of expired domains in your business?
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an expired domain?
An expired domain is a domain that was previously registered by a person or business that was not renewed before the expiration date. Then they can be re-registered by somebody else.
How do I find out when a domain expires?
You can find out when any domain expires easily by using one of the many free whois lookup tools like https://who.is
Tools like this will tell you an awful lot of things about the domain including precisely when it expires when it was registered, who is the current registered owner along with contact details.
How do I find out who owns a domain?
If you want to check who owns a domain, you can use Whois or websites such as Tucows or GoDaddy. All you need to do is enter the exact URL or the full domain name and you can find all the information available about that domain.
What happens if your domain expires?
If your domain expires then it will immediately become inactive. This means all the services that are attached to it also stop functioning.
You cannot make updates to an expired domain but the domain should be available for you to reactivate with your previous rate within the Expired Domain list.
What is the grace period for domain renewal?
A domain renewal ‘grace period’ is the period of time that someone can renew their expired domain for the normal renewal price.
Most domain providers will offer a 40-day renewal grace period but this could vary so be sure to check out and make note of how many days you have to renew your expired domain when purchasing.